Saturday, October 11, 2008

And Just Like That, It's Over

There was a thin layer of frost on my car before we even went to bed last night. When I got up this morning, it was 29 degrees. A good six hours of freezing temperatures have effectively ended the garden season, but I ventured out early this morning to see what, if anything, could be salvaged. What a gorgeous morning! Yes, frost on the tomatoes, but also... frost on the pumpkins! Frost on the sunflower! Rose Hips! Spider webs. Steam rising off the compost. And a leaf seemingly suspended in mid-air. Purely by chance, I picked nearly all of the green Striped Roma tomatoes yesterday, and today has been a can-a-thon. We are a sandwiches-for-lunch family, and use plenty of sweet relish - there is no way I can make the amount that we consume, but we will savor the few jars of home-made relish when we have them. I also canned 6 pints of dilled green tomato spears. We don't really eat dill pickles, but I wanted to experiment. I'm having fun. Can you tell? Is that weird, that I'm getting all creative with produce and spices, and lots and LOTS of vinegar?

4 comments:

Tracey said...

Dude. I would LOVE for some frost. We had several cold days last week, but today? 83. IN OCTOBER. In ILLINOIS.

Misty said...

This really IS exciting. I love the stuff you are doing.

Also, how do you get your compost to heat up? Mine isn't heating up sufficiently enough to kill seeds and when I added some to my lettuce/spinach beds, within a week I had more cantaloupe seedlings than I care to mention mixed in there.

Bah.

Nowheymama said...

I was going to pick the last of our tomatoes the other day, but we've been having a warm spell, so I'm letting them hang on a few more days. Livin' on the edge!

the dragonfly said...

Brrrr! We've had a bit of frost too, but since I just have a tiny apartment there's no garden to be concerned about. Glad you saved what you did!