Thursday, November 01, 2007

Not a Soul

Not one. measly. trick-or-treater.
But we really enjoyed the decorations anyway.
I added waaaaaaay more spiders. Like 220 or so...




I discovered the best way to get them in there is to stand a ways back and then simply fling the spiders into the web. They look more natural and they stick better too. And it is way faster which is A-OK with me, the impatient one.

Note: I am really freaked out by spiders. LIVE spiders. not plastic ones. We have up here a variety of spider known as the "Giant House Spider." They are about as big, and sometimes bigger than the plastic ones I bought. So, yeah, it is a little creepy looking out the windows at those webs full of spiders, but in a good, Halloween spooky way.

The mantle was really fun this year - I like the way it turned out. One word: cheesecloth. My new Halloween decorating material of choice. I didn't know what to do with the pictures on the mantle. they aren't spooky, and I don't have anywhere to put them, so I decided to drape them with sheets. Then I remembered I had a package of cheesecloth. It looks like thick cobwebs. Cheap. Easy. My kind of decoration. And I liked the monochromatic color scheme. Very drab and mournful.



The eyeballs were a package of super balls from T@rgeT. The skull and white tapers are filled with red wax, so they "bleed" as they burn. But they and the bones both burn very quickly and drip copiously. I'll remember to slip a little waxed paper or foil under them next time.
Next time. A whole year away. *sigh*

13 comments:

Family Adventure said...

Not a single kid?!? Is it possible you just made that house too scary-looking? It looks *amazing* from the pictures...And the mantle was just so cool!

I am still flabbergasted. Not one.single.one?

Heidi

Beck said...

Your house looks WONDERFUL!
We didn't have any trick-or-treaters either. Of course, it was pouring and there was gale force winds. Kids today - they're just lazy.

Suz said...

Not a single person? That's so sad, especially as your decorated house looks so cool! I LIKE all of the spiders!!

Victoria said...

We would have loved to come to your house...we prefer the creepy, decorated ones - especially if there are spiders! Gosh, not a single TorT'er? We got about 6. Waa.

Kathryn said...

That looks soooo fab. I love it. Too bad you didn't have any trick-or-treaters to enjoy it. Oh well. Now you get to eat the candy. Mmmm. :)

Misty said...

No way that it was too scary! It was perfect! We live kinda "out there" and didn't have a whole lot of trick or treaters. But a couple. Lovelovelove the "bleeding" candles. It was a good holiday. And now...dum da da dum....

Oi. There were Christmas carols on my radio yesterday morning. Can you believe it?

Sober Briquette said...

my neighbor said three vans came to our neighborhood. there are no kids in residence other than ours, and we went back to the "old" neighborhood to visit. I was just glad there was no vandalism.

Jennifer said...

Your house looks great! 220 spiders?? Awesome! I bet the wimpy T-and-T'ers were just too scared to come to the door. ;)

theflyingmum said...

Christmas carols?! NOOOOOOOOO!
(runs screaming into the next room)
We haven't had any treat seakers for a few years, but I know that there are lots of little ones in the 'hood (I see them at the school bus stops when I'm driving Ben to school) - I think it's just too far between houses for people to want to walk. No gale force winds, just LAZY and BORING! But when Ben's older, I will throw fabulous Halloween parties for him and his friends.
Oh, and guess what? One of the other moms was wearing pajama bottoms as she dropped her child off at school today. Now I don't feel so bad. HA!

allrileyedup said...

How sad that your house looked that cool and no trick or treaters got to appreciate it. Thank goodness you blog.

Alpha DogMa said...

Well, the house looked great even if no one came by for treats - does this mean you got to eat all the candies yourself? We had 12 kids, then I flagged down some teens (looking like they were plotting to egg something or someone) and off loaded all our extra candy into their pockets.

Sarcasta-Mom said...

Wow, where do you live to not even get one trick-or-treater? Especially with such an AMAZING house? I totally would have gone to your door.

At least you got some kick-ass pics. Thanks for sharing :)

Be Inspired Always said...

Wonderful Halloween decorations. Impressive. Not a single kid? wow. We live a few miles out of town and we even got one. Which is rare.





Jillian