Friday, November 09, 2007

Blog About It

Do you know this guy?




No? Here, does this help...



Need another clue? Well,
we were all in the mood for a melodeeee and he had us feelin' alriiiight.

Last night TFH and I went to see Billy Joel at the Key Arena in Seattle.
*takes a deep breath*
Billy Joel has been one of my favorite entertainers since forever. He is an amazing musician - his fingers just fly on that keyboard. And you know, he writes EVERY SINGLE SONG HE PERFORMS?! AMAZING. He also surrounds himself with pure talent. Every person in his band is skilled beyond description. The show blew my freakining mind. Yes, I just said freakining.
We had fantastic seats, too. Thanks to this guy



Erm, the one behind the drums. Yeah, I know you can't see him, but trust me - he's there.
I've never blogged about my friend Chuck
before because, although I've known him for about 20 years, I didn't really feel like I had bragging rights. But last night I asked for permission, and was told "Hell yeah!"

Chuck has been a professional musician since as soon as he possibly could. He is a drummer. A PHENOMENOL drummer. Good enough to be hired for the Billy Joel/Twyla Tharp Broadway production of "Movin' Out." So good, that Billy Joel hired him as his new drummer. I've seen him in action, really good. For 2 1/2 hours last night, he pounded that drum kit into a bloody pulp. I've seen the show before - I was on a layover in London once when they were playing at Wembley, and Chuck got me a comp ticket. But there is something about being in (or near) your home town, sitting among people you love, and watching someone who you love like your own family finally have the job of his dreams. He has worked long and hard to get here, and he sooooooo deserves it. You just couldn't meet a nicer guy. Chuck is married to my friend Amy, big sister of Elaine who has been my best friend since High School. These are the people I hang out with when I stay overnight in New York. All of them, such talented folks.

OK, back to the concert: there were a LOT of gray heads out in the audience last night, but there were a lot of kids too. I saw one boy, maybe 10 years old, with his Billy Joel album tucked under his arm as we were leaving the arena, and I though "Oh, he wanted Billy Joel to sign that..." There were thousands of us, many of us singing right along with Billy. If you must know, I was one of those middle aged, gray haired people, singing right along with Billy.
Sorry, but if your gonna put me in a room with "Big Shot," and "Only the Good Die Young," and "Angry Young Man," and --- you get the idea, right?
My eardrums and vocal chords may never be the same

15 comments:

Sara said...

I.Am.Jealous.

Of everyone I want to see all that remain are Billy Joel and Neil Diamond.

Victoria said...

Me. Jealous. Too. *grin*

I've seen Mr. Piano Man twice, but not recently and would love to! And how cool about your friend? Wow!

Kathryn said...

Way. Too. Cool!
That is so amazing. I would LOVE to see Billy Joel in concert. Me so lovey!
And how cool is your friend Chuck? Playing drums for 2 solid hours is amazing. My bro is a drummer and that takes major strength. So COOL!
So glad you loved the concert. Now THAT is a great belated birthday gift, no?
:)

Family Adventure said...

Wow! Way to have contacts in the big league!
I'm glad you had an awesome night out. And a little envious...

Heidi :)

theflyingmum said...

Note: the closest I have ever been to Mr. Piano Man is what you see in the first picture (and is likely as close as I'll ever be) but, yeah, it is cool to have a friend who not only plays drums for, but also gets me tickets to see one of my all time favorite singers/performers!

Jennifer said...

Wohoo! My husband and I saw Billy Joel a few months ago (um...a year ago?) and it was so much fun. I loved noticing that there were grandparents there with grandchildren. And you, with the inside track! So cool!!

beta mom said...

Sounds terrific! Beta Dad and I have seen him in concert, and it was one of the best nights of our lives! Glad you had such a good time!

Misty said...

That sounds like an amazing and moving experience! So glad you had such a good time.

the dragonfly said...

That is so incredible, and I am thoroughly jealous. Billy Joel and Bon Jovi, those are the shows I'd love to see some day...

That is so great that your friend is living his dream. Yay for him!

bubandpie said...

That would be such an amazing concert. I had the chance to see Billy Joel years ago but didn't get tickets ... I've always regretted it.

theflyingmum said...

Well, form what Chuck says, he's going to be touring quite a lot in 2008. I know they're hitting B.C. and some California, mid-western and southern (is Kansas City considered southern, or mid-western?) this fall, but don't know about the East Coast - I'll keep you all posted if I hear any cities. Ah heck, here is a link: Billy Joel 2007 tour dates

theflyingmum said...

No, that link is no good - this lists the up-coming dates.

b*babbler said...

Oh. Mr Babbler would be so incredibly jealous.

He had tickets once to see both Billy Joel and Elton John in concert.

... and then came SARS. Concert was cancelled. Poor guy. He still hasn't fully recovered.

allrileyedup said...

Billy Joel is the best. This is a major disagreement between me and my husband.

painted maypole said...

my first REAL date with my now hubby was to the Billy Joel/Elton John Face to Face tour. Sigh....