Thursday, October 11, 2007

Project-ed

Wow! Yesterday was a good day! It was cool and rainy-ish here, so while Ben was at school, I got all project-y and decided to "whip up" some flannel pajama bottoms for him. I've had a pattern for literally years. It's one of those that has like, five different sizes (of which we are now in the largest) intended to grow with your child - as long as you don't forget, and cut out the smallest size, permanently obliterating the larger sizes and your chance to ever use the pattern again. Luckily, I'm smarter than that. Read on...

I recently found some adorable rodeo-themed flannel fabric; all cowboys, broncos, and clowns in action on a light blue background. I'd washed the fabric a few weeks ago, so all that remained was the ironing, pinning on, and cutting out of said pattern, and then to sit at my long-neglected sewing machine (my gift for college graduation. I picked it out. Seriously. And no, I did not major in sewing, home-ec, or any other domestic science) and start sewing.

I love pattern paper. It's all crinkly and fragile, and it brings back good childhood memories of watching my mom sew. I pinned the tissue-y paper onto the cowboys, broncos and clowns and started cutting. Pants are relatively easy to make, only two pattern pieces for the easy elastic waistband kind I was making, so I was feeling pretty confident. Cocky even. And as I cut I was mulling over many witty things I could include in my post about this project when, from some dark, drippy recess in my mind, a Gollum-y voice muttered something about 'right sides facing each other.'
"What?!"
"Maybe we should reads the instructions."
"What? No! We don't needs the instructions! We HATES the instructions!"
*reaches for instructions*
*rustling of paper*
"Shit."

Luckily, the steel trap that is my mind was able to see that once the pieces were cut out, I could peel them apart and put the right sides together and no-one would be the wiser.


Ahhhh.
Thence commenced the sewing. I pinned the "INSTRUCTIONS" to the bulletin board. I really should have read through them first, though. Because I could have saved myself a lot of time and thread if I'd bothered to read the part about only sewing to the crotch, and not continuing on down the leg-seam. Luckily, again, (Brain: *whizz-bang-POW!*) I realized that Ben would, effectively, be wearing a sort of skirt-like tube if I continued that way and quickly - and with only a few bad words - fixed the problem. The rest of the project went well and with any luck, Ben should be able to wear them, accompanied by a white t-shirt, to bed this weekend ( I still need to measure the elastic for his waist-size, and hem them.)

Then last night, TFH's new boss(es) took us out to dinner! Ben stayed with our friend U.K. as kids were not invited, but we all had a pretty good time. And it struck me that in the 12 years that TFH and I have been married, the Navy never once bought me dinner. Then I remembered a few times when I joined TFH for dinner on the submarine while it was in port.

This was WAAAAAAY better.

7 comments:

Misty said...

Ben should model these fancy pants.

Yay for free food! Hey, a girl's gotta eat.

theflyingmum said...

Oh, he will!

Alpha DogMa said...

Fellow sewer here. Sometimes I get a yen for a project, too.

Beck said...

I find sewing pretty much the hardest thing in the world, so kudos.

Nowheymama said...

Ditto what Beck said. My high school drama teacher said that I made history by being the first ever costume chairperson to never sew a stitch.

painted maypole said...

tell Ben that the name of his pajamas is "My precious" ;)

allrileyedup said...

Just two weeks ago, I had the urge to sew my four year old niece a baker's hat. It, um, well, it didn't go well. Not too bad, either, but I think it's safe to say that I cannot sew "on a whim." And this hat will not be her birthday gift, but simply included in the package.