Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Not for Woosies

These

are the feet of an athlete!


OK, well, actually these feet have athlete's foot. I have been plagued by athlete's foot since elementary school. I don't remember how old I was, but still pretty young, I guess - maybe 3rd grade? Anyway, I distinctly remember my mother asking the pharmacist at the Rexall Drug Store what he recommended, as the "tough actin' Tinactin" was actin' rather poorly. Remember Rexall's? The one closest to our house was in Fircrest, sandwiched between the Manley's grocery store and a Hallmark store. All three were connected together at the back - you could walk from the Manley's, into the Rexall, then down a few stairs into the Hallmark. Huh, hadn't thought about that in years.


OK, where was I? Pharmacist, right. He recommended a product called Isodine which was a two-part product. The first part was a sticky yellow liquid that you painted onto the affected areas with cotton swabs. Then there was a powder, which I'm pretty sure was clay-based, that you sprinkled all over the sticky yellow stuff, to which it, well, stuck. The instructions on the box said to wear only 100% cotton socks, so we had to find a store that sold 100% cotton socks. In the 70's. We did find them - but they were so attractive that I only wore them to bed, after the full treatment. Oh yeah, I forgot: my feet had to be washed EVERY NIGHT before the "Isodine" was applied.


We did this dutifully, and went through maybe a couple boxes of the stuff, which probably lasted a week or two. Well folks I am here to tell you that I have learned a new way to kill the fungus, and it takes about three days. THREE DAYS! Sometimes only two, if I catch it early enough. A friend passed this method along to me, and I don't know how he came upon it, but I will warn you that as the title suggests, it not for woosies.

Rubbing alcohol.

After exiting the shower or bath, and after towel drying your feet, pour about a teaspoon of rubbing alcohol into your cupped hand, and then massage it into your feet and toes. It will sting like a sonofabitch. You might say a bad word. You might direct that word at me. But it will work, and you can wear whatever socks you like.

Of course you will have to de-fungus your shoes and boots - a little Lysol should do the trick. Isn't that what they use at bowling alleys?

This Post has been brought to you by:
Rexall Drug Stores
Isodine
and Lysol.

But not that Tinactin, that stuff is crap.


9 comments:

Alpha DogMa said...

Tinactin works for me when I sometimes have garden variety fungus from the pool - you are like my husband afflicted with the mutant super strength strain. The OmegaMan is anti-Tinactin, but still buys it because he loves to say Fast Actin' Tinactin. And as we are Canadians, we prefer our socks to be made of wool.

Victoria said...

I haven't seen/heard/read "Fast Actin' Tinactin" in years. Makes my feet itch. Thanks.

=)

Misty said...

HA! You are too FUNNY!

"You might say a bad word. You might direct that word at me."

Thanks for the chuckle so early in the morn...

theflyingmum said...

I am a sock-o-phile and I have to agree that wool socks are heavenly.

Nowheymama said...

Nice polish!

NotSoSage said...

I have nothing to add. I just wanted to say hi. Busybusybee, am I.

xo

painted maypole said...

i am actually friends with an offspring of the late founder and president of Rexall Drugs.

allrileyedup said...

I don't really get athlete's foot, but I'll advise my mom accordingly. She's used to using my name in conjunction with bad words anyway.

Not Afraid to Use It said...

I am going to give this a go. I have been plagued with horrible foot issues since I was a kid also. I remember the doc telling me as a kid that some people were just genetically more prone to it. That most people can walk through a locker room thousands of times and never have a problem. And then there were people like me who can just LOOK at a gym floor and get infected. He said most health problems are discussed in families, but icky feet were not one of them. No one was going to ask dear old auntie so-and-so if she had nasty, peely feet.

I remember I laughed so hard because he was so honest and told it like it was. I have about given up on ever having "normal" feet. But I will try your remedy tonight.

One other thing I heard that helped stinky feet was to soak them in tea. Like bags of Lipton tea. The tannin helps dry out your skin. That has actually helped my feet a little. I think if I can use your alcohol remedy to fix it, and then the tea to maintain, I might be on to something...