Monday, October 22, 2007

Mousehead Revisited

You were born on this day, exactly one year ago. You were so small, and I really didn't know what to do with you. I was afraid to "go pubic" with you, worried about what others might think. Because, I thought, you are not like them.

"They" all seemed far more developed than you were: smarter, prettier, sager, wittier, profounder (is that a word?)... and I thought,

"What's with all the Canadians here?"

Eventually others stopped by to see you. And soon there were some Americans hanging around the place too. Oh, and someone from NZ. Then a few more Americans stopped by.

By then, I knew that there was no turning back: I was in it for the long haul. I was dressing you up and stepping out with you.

You, who started with magazines and mice.

Happy Birthday, little blog.


16 comments:

Sober Briquette said...

did you wonder then, "should I not have shared that a mouse crawled across my head?"

Because here in the house at the end of the cul-de-sac, next to the stream and the park and the woods, I heard a scritch-scritching in the wall of the dining room one day. When I went outside to look at the opening to the dryer vent, I startled a 3 foot garter snake, who went scritch-scritch-scritch into the dry leaves.

Although I haven't heard any more scritching, each day I sweep in the dining room and I find something, not much... three mouse droppings, then two, maybe one.

Can I have a piece of your anniversary cake to put in a mouse trap?

jen said...

happy anniversary, little blog!!

b*babbler said...

Happy happy happy bloggy birthday! Here's to another year!

Kathryn said...

Happy Birthday, Blog!

Misty said...

Oh, Happy Birthday! This is very exciting and I am so glad you're here. I remember how I :fell in love: with this little spot. It was the first Tater post that stole my heart, right when I was introducing myself to the world of bloggers.

And I totally love the first two paragraphs because I swear I have thought those exact same thoughts...although less eloquently.

Mad Hatter said...

Happy birthday to you,
You belong in a zoo
You look like a mousie
And you're real witty too.

How's that for bad poetry? Glad to have you in my 'hood.

theflyingmum said...

Dear, dear bloggy friends! Thank you for making this a most unique and fun experience. Let's all raise our glasses to another year.
(PS, Tater update coming soon!)

Jennifer said...

Happy Blog Birthday! Hooray!

painted maypole said...

happy bloggoversary!

painted maypole said...

happy bloggoversary!

Nowheymama said...

Happy Blog Birthday to my very first commenter!

Also, "What's with all the Canadians here?" cracked me up. Hee.

P.S. Mom finished training and will begin flying out of BOS in mid-November.

Victoria said...

Happy Bloggy Birthday!

bubandpie said...

What a nice birthday card.

Alpha DogMa said...

Happy birthday little blog! We're almost blog twins, but I'm younger by a few miniscule weeks.

allrileyedup said...

congrats on your blogaversary!

Rimarama said...

Awe, happy belated birthday to your blog! Your tribute was so touching, it almost made me weep! They grow up so fast, don't they?