Monday, October 22, 2007

Monday Mission: "What is Art?"

Today's mission was to play art critic and write a review of one of your child's creative endeavors. I had fun with this one - hope you did too!

Known to family and friends simply as "Ben," this artist has taken the medium of Play-Dough sculpture to the next level - ground level. His current piece, a work in progress, is titled "Dried Bits in Carpet" and can now be viewed in the home of the artists parents. Ben's vibrant use of color greets the eye, and bare feet, as it spans the floor of the TV room. When asked whether this is a permanent or rotating exhibit Ben's mom replied, "Oh, it's permanent. I've tried vacuuming, but once it's dried it just won't come up." Artist: "Ben" Medium: sculpture Title: "Dried Bits in Carpet" Location: artists home Admission: Free! Rating: **1/2
If you posted for today's mission and would like me to provide a link to your blog, please let me know either in comments or an email. Also, next Monday is my last weekend hosting Monday Missions. If there is anyone out there who would like to volunteer for another round in November, let me know via email or comments. Pleeeeeeeze. Today's Art Critics are: 1.Jennifer (Faking It) 2. Painted Maypole, with "Color My World" 3. Sober Briquette with reviews of 2 up and coming artists! 4. Aljena, with Phoebe Lenore, abstract expressionist

13 comments:

NotSoSage said...

Oh, this is so sad and so true. Thank goodness the only carpet in our house is on the stairs...

Jennifer said...

Oh, this is too funny! And too sadly true. ACK! (Also, dried Play-Dough is sharp on bare feet. Ow!)

I just posted my Mission, too. This was a fun one -- thank you!

Sober Briquette said...

Should Ben ever want to change the medium, the exhibit can be removed with cold (cold, don't use hot) water and a cloth. (I tried everything else, and then, voila, that worked!)

I'll post back when I get mine up. It will be tonight.

Kathryn said...

That is priceless! I was just trying to pick little bits of playdough out of my carpet this morning. Too funny!

theflyingmum said...

De, I'm not sure I will need to remove it (though I am going to try it out today, just for kicks! Because I have no life!) - I think this exhibit is going to be retired (to the DUMP) if we do as planned and remodel the TV room this winter...

painted maypole said...

ahhh.. makes me thankful for hard surfaced floors!

My post is up
http://paintedmaypole.blogspot.com/2007/10/color-my-world.html

and if you want me to host again in Nov, I'd be happy to!

Sober Briquette said...

mine is done

http://soberbriquette.blogspot.com/2007/10/monday-mission-art-critic.html

And yay, to PM hosting in Nov. (I'm so afraid I won't have any ideas. I'll choke!)

Rimarama said...

Very clever! I like it!

alejna said...

Thanks for hosting this once more!

I've finally got mine up:
Phoebe Lenore, abstract expressionist
And I did indeed have fun with it.

We haven't yet explored the wonders of Play Dough. It sounds like quite a...challenging...medium. (I loved your critique, by the way. Nice title!)

Mad Hatter said...

Oh this is brilliant. I wish I had done it but I've been too damn busy sulking and navel gazing. Must get over that.

theflyingmum said...

Mad: oh we all need a good, sulky navel-gaze now and then. Glad to know we made you smile! :)

Mary G said...

What a great Mission post. I'm sorry I missed it, since at the moment I have blue fingernails from when Little Stuff coloured them with the wrong marker.

You've done a marvellous MM job, too. So many thanks.

Christine said...

haha!

play do in the carpet SO sucks!