Sunday, September 30, 2007

The Tiger Who Came to Tea, and Other Stories

Oh! How I wish I had a digital video camera. Or even knew how to do that voice recording thingy that you can then post to your blog, because Ben is in his room singing right now. Our local library has a copy of Robert McCloskey's "Blueberries for Sal" that has an audio recording along with it. The recording must have been done in the 70's. It has the story narrated by a man and woman on one side, and the same two folks are on side B singing berry and (ahem) bear-y related songs. Cheezy songs. I guess not really cheezy to a six-year-old, though.

"...here we go round the blueberry bush, every Monday MOR-NING!"
Books on tape have been a God-send for us. All of our family and most of our friends live over an hour's drive, or a four-plus hour flight away from where we live. Listening to stories in the car, or on the plane helps Ben pass the time. And he LOVES being read to, so it is even more convenient for us, as someone else is doing the reading (snicker, snicker.) But I kinda like the books on tape too. Mem Fox's voice in Possum Magic totally blisses me out, for some reason. And we love that the "Mog, the Forgetful Cat" tapes have additional dialogue written by (the author) Judith Kerr, and that all of the family members' voices are done by different people. Some of the other books on tape we enjoy are: "Witch, Goblin and Ghost" by Sue Alexander, read by Barbara Feldman. Yes, Agent 99 from "Get Smart!" Cool, huh?! "Little Bear" by Else Holmelund Minarik, read by Sigourney Weaver "The Tiger Who Came to Tea" also by Judith Kerr the "Mr Putter and Tabby" series of books by Cynthia Rylant I really wanted to provide links for the tapes, but some of them are no longer available. However, I did find this on YouTube...

5 comments:

Great Big Veg challenge said...

These are some of our favourite books. Judith kerr writes all teh MOG the cat books which are wonderful.
I enjoy reading your blog and like the idea of you flying one day and then being at home with the Tiger who came to Tea the next.
Strange lives of modern mothers!

Beck said...

Story tapes ARE fun! We like the storyteller Jim Weiss a LOT.

Mad Hatter said...

I haven't heard the books on tape version but I love Possum Magic.

painted maypole said...

I have a monday mission up, and a link to you!!! :)

Jennifer said...

We love books on tape here. Oh, okay, I'll confess. My kids love books on tape. I love the idea of books on tape, but I don't actually sit and listen along with them...hee.