Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Happy Birthday, Sweet Boy!

Tuesday August 14th, 2001: I was having mild labor pains all day.
We went to bed at 10:00 pm.
At 11:45 pm my water broke - it was dark and murky: meconium.
We were at the hospital by 12:00 am.
After informing the attending nurse that my Doc wanted an ultrasound before delivery (to check head position due to possibility of Down's Syndrome) I was sent in for an X-ray (no ultrasound tech on duty at 1:00 am, I guess)
We found out you were breach.
Doc arrived looking sleepy and concerned, and informed me that I would have you delivered by C-section.
The worst part was the needle in my spine, and the precautionary statement "Don't move while I'm injecting you!"
Then, everything got warm, and sleepy.
But I had to stay awake to welcome you into the world!
You were born at 4:50 am on Wednesday, August 15th 2001,
exactly six years ago today.
You were pink and healthy as I knew you would be.

And now, with each new birthday, though I may mourn the loss of your chubby cheeks,
though I may look back rather wistfully to the day when you used to pronounce the word "white" "fwite,"
though you getting older means that I am getting older too,
I think about the miracle that is you, and I am thankful to be able to know such a wonderful, funny, handsome, smart, dear, sweet boy.

Happy sixth birthday, Ben!


birthday loot!

10 comments:

Misty said...

*Confetti*

*Confetti*

Happy Birthday Ben!

NotSoSage said...

Such sweetness.

Happy Birthday, Ben.

Happy BIRTHday, tfm.

Jennifer said...

I love both of those pictures!

Happy Birthday to your big boy!

jen said...

yay!

nowheymama said...

Happy Birthday, Ben!

Katherine will be joining you as a six-year-old on the 30th. *sniff*

nowheymama said...

I answered your question (rather long-windedly) on my blog.

Tracey said...

Happy birthday, Ben!
Time truly flies for the moms and dads...

Thanks for stopping by.

Beck said...

Happy birthday, Ben!
That just new photo - MY HEART!

nowheymama said...

Becky! My mom is getting called back! Her letter should arrive today or tomorrow.

Mamameo said...

Yay Yay! Happy Birthday! It's a big deal!