Monday, June 04, 2007

Welcome to Bensville, in the State of Disarray

This is the last Monday Mission that Jennifer (Ponderosa) is hosting. Thanks, Jennifer, for coming up with such fun topics, and linking us all up. I've had a ball!

Today's Monday Mission: Travel guide



On first glance, Bensville may appear to have fallen on hard times, but a closer look reveals it is still abuzz with all manner of recreational activities. Why, even on eagerly anticipated sunny days, the resident(s) of Bensville often still prefer to stay within its cozy confines. This location hearkens back to a simpler time, when people were free to engage in leisure activities without having to worry about dusting, vacuuming, laundry, homework, or really any kind of responsibility.

Where to go in Bensville:
The main attraction in Bensville is the public library,



which offers an extensive selection of reading materials, though the librarian refuses to use the Dewey Decimal System. This can cause some to panic in the evening hours, when a particular book, which has been selected for the nightly reading ritual, is nowhere to be found. Fortunately for the resident(s) of Bensville, the town elders have chosen to keep the most requested books in a separate area, where they are within easy reach at story time.

When to Go:
Bensville is a pretty happening place 365 days of the year, but the town does shut down between the hours of 8:00 pm and 7:00 am. Night owls and early risers may want to find alternate accommodations.

BLUELISTS
Check out what others are saying about Bensville, or leave a comment of your own

Where to Eat


"...the food was a little, um, waxy or something..."

Hot Spots for Cool Tunes


"...love, love, LOVE the Lullabys at bedtime!..."

Save it for a Sunny day


"...it could only be better if it was filled with CANDY!..."

17 comments:

allrileyedup said...

I think I've been to Bensville's sister city. And according to my dogs, that waxy food is a-ok.

NotSoSage said...

Night owls and early risers may want to find alternate accommodations. Excellent.

I guess we'll have to make alternate arrangements if we ever visit!

Sara said...

That is so cute! Nice Job!

theflyingmum said...

Riley: the dogs would probably LOVE the "woody" vegetables!
Sage: Um, the "other accomodations" are a sofabed. A full-size sofabed. We are a tiny, but friendly country.
Sara: thanks! Bensville is much tidier now, as TFH undertook a town clean-up while I was out running errands today. Maybe he was appalled that I would post Ben's room in its (usual) state...

nowheymama said...

So cute! With photos and everything - great job!

Jennifer (ponderosa) said...

You're so clever. You win the opportunity to host the next session!

And that TV. WOW. Does it really have dials? I remember one of those from my childhood. Where did you find it?

theflyingmum said...

Jennifer: My husband picked the tv up at the yard sale of a Navy buddy. Yes, it has a rotary on/off switch, and a channel "dial" - we have it hooked up to a VCR, but I don't know where the remote is right now. It's a pretty low-tech arrangement. It's also pretty dusty, as Ben doesn't watch too much TV in his room, he prefers the BIG tv in the family room. I just don't understand why.
And I'll gladly host the Monday Missions... in the fall. Let's all take the summer off.

Mary G said...

I love it! I know other locations a lot like it. Officeville, for instance.
Summer off sounds fun, and if you are hosting in the fall, I'm in.

NotSoSage said...

A sofabed!?

I've seen that property of yours, I'm tenting it and will have hot campfire coffee and griddle cakes for when you wake.

Deal?

raehan said...

Wow. They get to sleep until 7:00 at Bensville. Does Ben have a trundle bed?

theflyingmum said...

Mary G: funny you should mention Officeville, as that was Bensville's name prior to being settled by the current resident. Now there is no Officeville on the map of Ourhouse, just Piledupkitchen Corners. *sigh*
Sage: Deal! Tents are most definitely welcome, however, the resident of Bensville will be incredibly jealous of the residents of Tentsville, and may stage a not-so-hostile invasion.
Raehan: Sometimes Bensville is still sleeping at 7:30 or 8:00 am! This usually happens on a school day when we really need the resident to be up earlier. A trundle bed would be a really good idea, but as you can see in the picture, the underbed area is rather occupied...

Mad Hatter said...

The State of Disarray? I happen to live there and yet I have never made it over to Bensville. I'm clearly missing a lot.

mayberry said...

"Town elders." Hee! Loved your take.

Jennifer said...

I just posted my Travel Guide and purposefully waited to read the others until I did mine... I LOVE this one of yours! (And I would love it if the early risers of My House really were able to find other accommodations...*grin*)

Beck said...

That's funny - I live in The State of Disarray, too.
You're too clever!

bubandpie said...

I'm loving these. But you forgot to comment on what looks like a lovely exhibit of handicrafts above the dresser!

theflyingmum said...

Buband pie: the quilt above the dresser was a gift from the hospital where Ben was born. A local quilting group makes machine quilted baby quilts for all the newborns there - but there were so many boys born that August, that they only had pink quilts handy when Ben was born. It actually works well in his room, as we went with a red and white theme, and the quilt on his bed is an antique that has faded to pink...