Friday, June 08, 2007

The Cat with Opposable Thumbs (Or: Another New Pet who Is NOT Named Tater)


Meet Twinkle, short for "Twinkle-Toes." This was not the name I would have given her, but The Floating Husband said it once (or maybe twice) and from then on, for Ben, that was her name. I felt better when my bfitwww, Elaine, said that she thought "Twinkle" - for short - was an excellent name for a cat. Twinkle it is, then.

Twinkle was a stray, living on the empty lot (which is filled with junk) next to us. I was the first to win her affections, crouching down with my hand outstretched until curiosity trumped fear and she approached me. At first, any time I stood up from the crouching position, she would hiss and run away. She eventually got braver, but would then "attack" our ankles when ever we stood or walked. Now, as far as she is concerned, we are sooooo last week.



Twinkle is an excellent cat. I do not say that about many (any?) cats. I am not a cat person, that is TFH's job, I am a DOG person. I have never met a dog I didn't like. But this cat? She follows us to the bus stop, she rubs her head and ears against your legs in a way that says she loves you, and you alone, she LOVES Ben, and she comes when called. In short, she is a dog. I love her.

For now, she is an outside cat. This has not stopped my husband, the cat person, from letting her in the house when I am away.
::: note, if you want to keep anything a secret, don't let Ben in on it :::
When we have safely removed all traces of our former cat from the house, and when the weather cools off in the fall, I'm pretty sure Twinkle will move in with us. But for now, we are all pretty darn happy.

(This just in: Ben peered over my shoulder, giggled and said "Goody, I can let Twinkle in this weekend when you're AWAY! - not to be trusted, that boy.)

12 comments:

Jennifer said...

Look at those paws! We have a cat who thinks he's a dog as well. Those are the best kinds of cats, imo. ;)

- Jennifer (Faking It)

NotSoSage said...

Oh, Twinkle being our name for our hypothetical second child, I'm a big fan of that name. I never thought I would like a cat, but ours is a part of our family now and was basically raised by our dog, so it's kind of the best of both worlds.

Welcome, Twinkle, to theflyinghousehold.

Sober Briquette said...

with those opposable thumbs, I'm thinking it may be Twinkle who is opening the door while you're away.

she has beautiful eyes.

Sarah in Montana said...

Ha. Your son sounds like a a normal boy! Good luck with *Twinkle!

theflyingmum said...

Sage: when I was little (and didn't yet know about the birds and the bees...) I'd see a picture of the family before I was born and ask "where was I?" My mom would always say "You were just a twinkle in my eye." I still think that's a pretty sweet answer.
De: Ya know, I'd never thought of that, and since I've seen this cat stand on her hind legs like a meerkat for a full minute, I'm thinking it could happen!
Sarah in Montana: Welcome to my blog! Montana holds a special place in my heart. My folks lived in Thompson Falls in the 50's, when my dad worked on the Thompson River dam, or is it the Clark Fork dam? Anyhoo, I wasn't (yet) around then, but enjoyed some camping there during my childhood

Sara said...

aaaaw, I am so a cat person....we have 2! And Twinkle is a much better name than Tater #657....

Misty said...

I can't tell. Is Twinkle one of those Key West/Old Man and the Sea polydactyl cats?

I wish we could have a cat as they are so self sufficient and seem so clean. But both my son and my mother are allergic. Sigh. So, I am jealous, flyingfamily. But am so happy for your new addition!

Mad Hatter said...

Love those feet but I gotta say that I am missing Tater just a wee bit.

mayberry said...

She's a beautiful cat!

signed, another non-cat person

theflyingmum said...

Misty: Yep, we thought extra toes was caused by in-breeding, but the vet said that polydactylism is just an inherited trait, like fur color...
Mad: I really do need to post a Tater update. He (she?) is doing great - though Ben kind of forgets about him. He has made appaerances against the glass of the jar a couple of times now, so we know that he's still going strong!
Mayberry: she is the doggiest cat I've ever encountered. LOVES to be picked up and held like a baby too. (the cat, that is)

Beck said...

Look at all those TOES! We had a multi-toed cat, which my parents very creativlely named "Toe-toe."

Amanda said...

Very cute! We actually have a cat that looks almost like that. Striped with the thumbs. I've heard that they are lucky you know!