Friday, May 25, 2007

Get Up Offa That Thing!

formerly titled Mission Accomplished!
I changed the title because every time I saw it I heard George W. in my head and, well, I don't really think I need to say any more about that. Now when I look at the title, I hear James Brown: Yeow! Truly inspiring.

I have had this project in mind for like, two or three years. I bought a couple of lovely shantung silk pillow slips and intended to embellish them.





I got the idea from a picture in a magazine (though I don't remember which one) and thought, hey, I could do that. I have had the pillow slips, inserts and supplies sitting on my work table for several weeks now, and I finally got tired of having no room to do anything else. So yesterday, I did it. I started a project and I didn't stop until it was finished!


They also look good here,



In other news, my appointment with the dentist for my permanent crown was yesterday. I am sad to say, that no royalty was bestowed on me. The porcelain shattered on the final "bite and grind." The only silver lining is that it happened there, in the dentist's chair, rather than at home, while biting into my turkey burger last night.

7 comments:

Swistle said...

The pillows are beautiful, and I love Before-and-Afters. Also, dental work = suck.

theflyingmum said...

swistle: See, I meant to do this project a while back when you did your "finish a project" post. And the crown? Yeah, I'm such a whimp - I actually asked for a shot of novacaine.

NotSoSage said...

It shattered? That freaks me out.

Cute pillows!

theflyingmum said...

The dentist thinks it flexed when I bit down on the big wad of whatever he told me to bite down on - but he had filed an awful lot of the porcelain off in order to remove the "high spots" (so my bite would not be affected) and I'm thinkin' maybe the porcelain got too thin? A big sharp shard of it fell under my tongue and my dentist kinda freaked out.

Alpha DogMa said...

The pillows are lovely.
When it is time for bed, does the Flying Dad gently remove them and place them to the side of the bed before slipping between the sheets enjoying the sensation of clean laundered linens? Or does he pick them up and hurtle them on to the floor and then face plant on the bed like a beached whale?
Guess which one happens in my house?

c4cara said...

Yuck! Dentists are one of my secret phobias. Not so secret now though I guess. Hope your tooth is all better soon.
Lovely pillows and well done for starting and finishing !! Maybe I'll go and sew some 'fallen-off-buttons' onto my trousers? Maybe tomorrow.

theflyingmum said...

The Flying Dad (Floating Dad?) is pretty careful,and though he generally does not conceal his feelings re: "too many pillows on the bed," I am usually the one to lovingly place them on the chest at the foot of the bed. And back on the bed after making it in the morning, for that matter.