Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Answer

Maybe it was - just a little bit - the pretty cleaning supplies, but I think it was more likely the dust bunnies that swirled in little eddies whenever I opened the living room drapes that really made me want to clean. The pretty gloves and sponge did make me feel snazzy, but I am so sensitive to dust that I also had a bandana tied around my face which made me look like a snazzy bandit.
The only thing that matters, though, is that I finally got that sewing table put back to rights.
Music, yes, music is a MUST. Yesterday it was KING FM, the local classical music station, although my favorite cleaning music of all time is Rei Momo by David Byrne. Just try not to dance while you're vacuuming to that one.



Now, hopefully this room will look completely different in a few months. When my husband bought this place 14 years ago it was stuck in the early 70's: all dark bi-level shag covering the floors (even in the bathroom, eeewwwww!) and "wood" panelling on the walls. With the low ceilings, I felt like I was living in a cave. In August of 2005, while my husband was away at sea I seized the opportunity to bring the living room into the new millennium (without telling him...) and the end result had such an uplifting effect that we are now both motivated to get to work on the rest of the house. Wish us luck.

8 comments:

Sara said...

need that here...the uplift and whatnot. :) looks GREAT!

sober briquette said...

I'm usually a pretty regular cleaner, but lately...I am blaming it on the sudden loss of Lorenzo's nap. I never get a chance to put everything away AND vacuum AND dust. It's one or another, and sometimes none of them. He's sleeping now of course, but on the living room couch, so I won't be doing any vacuuming in there.

theflyingmum said...

I always used to have a clean home. Sometimes a little untidy, but always clean. I know there's a balance between mothering, cleaning, cooking etc. - I just haven't struck it yet. But I'm working on it. Ben being in school helps A LOT.

theflyingmum said...

By the way, that is the bi-level shag and panneling pictured in the family room that was referenced in the post - the WHOLE house was like this (except the kitchen, which had its own, um, charms.)

nowheymama said...

I love renovation projects! I can't wait to see what you do.

As for me, I am not an organized cleaner. And to people who say, "You have kids," I say, "You don't understand. This is the cleanest and most organized I've ever been, and it's not that good." Maybe I need some of those fancy gloves and sponges.

allrileyedup said...

A snazzy bandit - are we talking Owen Wilson in Shanghai Noon or Matthew McConaughey in The Newton Boys? Or, to be fair to all sexes, Faye Dunaway in Bonnie and Clyde?

theflyingmum said...

Um, if you strip all those people of all their movie make-up, and put them in sweats with stringy hair (I paint a lovely picture, don't I?) then, all of the above?
And I will try to remember to take "before" pictures and post them along with some "afters." I always forget to take the "befores" until half the carpeting is pulled up...
I am at work now - standing at the hotel crew-room computer with people waiting their turn behind me. I am addicted.

NotSoSage said...

You ARE addicted! Yay!

Apparently so am I, as I'm desperately trying to catch up after 5 days of neglect.

Your plan for the living room sounds so "While You Were Out"...I wonder how hard it is to get on those design shows? Most are American, so I have no idea since Canadians don't qualify.