Thursday, February 15, 2007

Everyone Knows it's Windy

I hate the wind. The wind sucks, no wait, the wind blows! Yes, it totally blows.





Last fall and this winter we have had severe wind storms here. School was even cancelled on accout of wind. I have never, ever, in my whole entire life had a "wind day." "Snow Days," yes, but wind days? Come ON. But it was bad - really, really capital B.ad! Last month a corner flap of our laundry room roofing blew up and we had rain cascading down the walls, through the seam in the ceiling and all around the exterior door. Oh yeah, did I forget to mention that the wind has also been accompanied by monsoon - like downpours? (Thank God for homeowners insurance - it totally paid off.) We never bothered to clear the yard of all of the branches and other debris, and, today I am glad.

Because Ol' Man Wind is at it again.

We have a giant of an ancient fir tree in our back yard. When I am standing at the school bus stop, I can see it swaying menacingly, sickeningly, and I pray, PRAY that, should it decide to fall, it falls in a southerly direction. Please fall away from our house, away from the orchard, and even away from the cranky neighbors. Ben's bedroom is on the back of the house - in the direct path of this monster. If it's windy tonight, I'm making him sleep on the couch.



The roofing has yet to be repaired because apparently we were not the only ones to suffer some damage. That is putting it lightly - after the storm that blew our roof off, the President Of The United States Of America stepped up to declare us a disaster area. (He's obviously never been here or this edict would have been handed down long ago...)

I continue to type at this computer, even though the lights are flickering. We have it plugged in to a back-up battery (yes, it's THAT important...) and it's a laptop with a fully charged internal battery so, hey, why not risk electrocution from a power surge?

*I just checked, and the back-up battery is also a surge protector. I need no further encouragement.

Anyway, back to the wind. It's only good for drying laundry in the summer. That's right, you heard me, I hang my clothes on a clothes line in the summer and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

update: the winds have died down, the tree stands, and Ben is sleeping soundly in his own bed.

11 comments:

NotSoSage said...

Oh, crap. My parents and brother have been dealing with similar things - they're all on the West Coast - and it's been such a big deal for everybody.

I'm glad to read that the winds have died a little. Your property looks lovely.

theflyingmum said...

That's right, they're in B.C., aren't they? Yep, we are all getting blasted. I suppose I should dig my heels in, as March is just around the corner, ugh.

Sarah said...

I've been enjoying your blog, especially since I'm the child of a flight attendant. (Should we be known as COFAs, like children of deaf adults are called CODAs?)

I hope all of your weather excitement is over; I'll check back soon.

theflyingmum said...

Oh Sarah, how I would love to hear your thoughts on what it was like to be a C.O.F.A.
I think Ben is kind of used to it now - but there are the obvious issues I posted about earlier. Who took care of you when Mom flew? (I assume it was Mom, though I fly with plenty of Dad's too.) What was it like when they got back? Soooo many questions...

Sarah said...

I've added my email (sarahatf at zoominternet dot net) to my blog. Ask away!

NotSoSage said...

Becky, I thought I'd posted a comment somewhere about paper making, but I don't know where and now I'm concerned that I wrote it and never followed through...let me know. notsosage[at]yahoo[dot]ca

Sara said...

oh my god, the wind freaks the crap out of me. Our yard has 2 gigantic trees in it as well---but I think they'd crush my father-in-law if the fell down.

Glad to hear that all is well.

Sara

theflyingmum said...

Sara, would the crushing-of-the-father-in-law be a good thing or a bad thing? Also, the tree looks bigger in the pictures due to my poor photography splicing and lack of editing software. Or maybe I just don't know where the editing program is; this computer is still fairly new.
My comment about the president having never been here, meant here, my yard, specifically and in no way should reflect on the town I live in. My garage alone is a disaster area since the roof caved in last month after a heavy snowfall. This Property is Condemned.

Mad Hatter said...

I'll take the snow over wind any day of the week. Snow you can fight with a weapon called a shovel. Wind is so much more quixotic. Plus, it would blow you off your horse.

theflyingmum said...

Hah! Yes, I have to agree with you re: the snow, here it melts before it's a problem (with the exception of garage roofs.) A gentle breeze is fine, especially when on horseback - very romantic, but no wind. No.

Sarah said...

Thanks so much for the pumpkin pie recipe! Mmm... maple syrup.... I can't wait to try it. Maybe I can talk Scott into making some piecrust this weekend - he's the baker of the family.