Monday, January 08, 2007

Our house is what you'd call a "fixer-upper." In the eleven years that we've been married, we've managed to do some cosmetic and structural fixing on about half of it. It's not that we don't know how to do it, or where to start, it's just apathy. But last year while my husband was away at sea, I got busy in or, er with the living room. I painted the previously brown wood paneling, put down laminate flooring (with the help of our wonderful, generous friend, Kelly) and bought a tile hearth to go under the wood stove. The room still isn't completely finished - ceiling trim needs to go up yet - but on December 24th my brother and husband put a shelf up over the wood stove. It's looking pretty good, no? p.s. the ceiling is so low that I can actually lay my palm on it while standing flat - footed, sigh... A few weeks before the holidays I got the bug to do some more "improvements" which is to say I decided to finish a couple of projects that were started, oh a WHILE ago. So the bedroom is finally finished with ceiling trim and baseboards - no more spiders - and other things I won't mention - making their way through the gaps between walls and ceiling, yea! And the bathroom is completely trimmed out and ready for it's final coat of paint. Yes, projects seem to get done in stages around here. I think having Mike around, and being so much more aware of how important a "home" is, has helped motivate me, all good! Plus, Mike has offered to help, and he's a pro, so of course I said yes.

1 comment:

NotSoSage said...

Hey there!

Looks awesome. I'm so jealous. A wood-burning stove is a must-have for our next home...

I wanted to let you know that I tagged you for a meme. No pressure, but it's there for the pickin', if you'd like. :)